Friday 27 February 2015

We Are All Bonnie

I realised the other day that a large chunk of M/M romance is basically just Bonnie Tyler in Holding Out For A Hero.

Witness this:




So, the men we are reading about are, in one way or another, just standing atop a big cliff in a floaty dress belting out a desire for a man: "he's gotta be strong, he's gotta be fast, and he's gotta be fresh from the fight". Ring any bells?
But it's more than that isn't it. He's also "gotta be sure. And it's gotta be soon. And it's gotta be larger than life." Yes, that man I'm reading about has gotta be all the things. I've never seen a better description of M/M than that (or a fair chunk of it anyway).

But there's a little tickle of the subconscious yearning in there too. It's not all blatant 'come get me down from this dangerous precipice', oh no. There's all that sublimated desire rising to the surface too: "In my wildest fantasy. Somewhere just beyond my reach. There's someone reaching back for me". It's the whole 'he wants me as much as I want him, but its a struggle' thing. And it's lovely. And it's done to a thumping erotic beat, which is in no way suggestive of humping. Oh no.

Still, it could be worse.
It could be that M/M is all about the other song. Remember that one?

Witness this batshit insanity:



Other than the whole thing being about over-brimming passion, lost love, needing for romance and fresh starts there's only a few tenuous links to M/M:
"Living in a keg and giving off sparks" - yes, we've all been there. Smoky isn't it.
"Once upon a time I was falling in love, now I'm only falling apart." - welcome to my life.
"Together we can take it to the end of the line" - surely the ultimate M/M story. No? Also, surely the deepest, most longing desire behind every one night stand ever.
(We'll just ignore the dodgy stuff about shagging schoolboys who grow up to be fit, speedo wearing, swimmers and/or american football players who quaff wine while wearing tuxedos)

Bonnie you are very wise.
Also, 'bonnie' in Scots means beautiful. So yeah, we're all Bonnie.

No comments:

Post a Comment